Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Consumer Information About Long-Term Care

In 1986 I made a career change (life happens!) from education to community organization and specifically, senior services. I wandered unaware into the world of long-term care facilities and supportive community services for seniors; meal programs, senior companions, etc. It wasn't long until I began asking all the questions that families ask when they are thrust into the long-term care services; how can I (or my loved one) stay at home and get services? what happened that send a person to a nursing facility? Because I was trained as a teacher, I have spent over 20 years trying to figure out what information would best prepare consumers. Have I discovered the magic curriculla that can help consumers? Not hardly. I've spent the 20+ years learning the shape-shifting complexity of declining function, dementia, need for services, high costs, government bureaucracy, health care paperwork and family dynamics all come together to create the perfect family storm. One thing stands out among my thoughts that can best prepare for that storm. And that is Don't Go It Alone and Ask Questions. Disappointing as that may be, it's the best I can do. Consumers and families and as I near 65, I understand that people don't like to admit they need help, let alone talk about Frank's "autumn of my life." I continue to come back to concepts of community and family, understanding that some unfortunately, have neither and have never had either. Long-term care, however, is the great equalizer. Chronic care and disability happens. It's a journey and the best information a consumer could be given is that others have been down that path and the community is out there to help. Reach out!

No comments: