Sunday, May 4, 2008

New Spin on Assistive Devices

I'm in Palm Springs as I write this post. One of my theories about those of us who survived the psychedelic 60s to reach our chronological 60s is that we definitely are going to put a new face on aging and with that, a new face on getting help when we need it...That is once we admit we need help. Palm Springs, being the mecca for snowbirds, golfers and the evening martini set, offers some unique examples of making what used to be hospital hardware into boutique items. For example, there is a shop that offers assistive devices but instead of portraying their customers as frail and needy, the very name of the shop is called "Yes I can!" And my personal favorite is a hearing aid store called "HUH?" Let's have more of that please! Bringing humor and positive spin to aging and disability. I can't help but wonder what new entrepreneur opportunities are out there in the assistive device world...Let your creative juices flow...post your ideas.

No comments: